Alternatives to Payment of Fines and Costs

A defendant who is convicted of a criminal offense punishable by fine only is entitled to alternative methods of satisfying the judgment against them if they are unable to pay the fine or cost, in whole or in part.

Those alternative methods include:

1) A payment plan, allowing the defendant to make payments toward the fine and cost in designated intervals. Note that if any amount is paid more than 30 days after the judgement assessing the fine or costs them a $25.00 time payment fee must be assessed.

2) Disposition of the amount assessed by performing community service(TEXAS RESIDENTS ONLY). There are many options that meet the requirements of the law for community service, see ART. 45.049 of the Code of Criminal Procedure for full details. A defendant is entitled to a minimum of $100 credit for every 8 hours of community service performed.

3) If performing community service imposes an undue hardship, a defendant who is indigent or who lacks sufficient resources to pay is entitled to a wavier of the fine and cost, in whole or in part.

If you are wanting to file for indigency with the Court, please contact the phone numbered provided. There are forms that you will have to fill out and send back to the Court to prove that you are indigent. The Judge may request copies of check stubs, bills in your name, etc., when you file for indigency, or at any time after the case has been deemed indigent.